6in Digital Caliper Review - Item #62569

Discussion in 'Hand Tools' started by Ben, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Ben

Ben Administrator Staff Member

I found myself in need of a digital caliper to measure some parts on my bicycle, and I had an HF gift card my dad gave me, soooo, I went for the 6 in. Digital Caliper with SAE and Metric Fractional Readings (Item #62569).

This is just an initial review, but I'll update it if anything happens to it over the years.

IMG_0800.jpg
    So, it comes in a pretty nice little plastic case that has a bit of a wood grain texture in it. Nice touch!

IMG_0798.jpg
    When you first open it, it has the caliper in plastic, directions, and a battery. Cool! It actually already had a battery, but it was almost dead, so I replaced it with the new one.

IMG_0802.jpg
    You can see the plastic case has foam inside and it's cut to match the caliper. So far, it looks like a great value for $19.99.

IMG_0803.jpg
    The tool itself feels well built and slides smoothly. You can slide it with the grip on the plastic for big movements, and with the roller for more fine-grained control. The internal side is always the same as the external side, which is cool.

And here's a little video of it operating.

So that's it! Seems to work very well out of the box, and seems to do the job. Let's see how it holds up!

2. rbstern

rbstern Administrator Staff Member

Nice write-up, Ben. I use the 3 decimal place version for reloading. My only beef is it goes thru batteries a bit too quickly. Otherwise, it's a good tool.

3. Okuma

Okuma Administrator Staff Member

Really good review! This is one of those tools I've always wanted but haven't had a need for yet.

4. countryboyco99

countryboyco99 Member

I have one of these also. Works well for what I have used it on but I did learn you have to remove the battery when you are done with it or it will be dead next time you need it. Wish you could just leave it in, don’t understand what the drain is. If someone could figure it out it would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. rbstern

rbstern Administrator Staff Member

I found I have more problems with batteries when hanging the calipers in a pegboard "loop" (like the kind you'd use for a screwdriver). I think it sometimes turns on based on pressure against the arms. I've learned to put them in a drawer. Battery life is still too short, but they are cheap batteries and the tool is very useful.