A Very Basic Car Tool Bag Under $40

Discussion in 'Hacks & Projects' started by Ben, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Ben

Ben Administrator Staff Member

So, I swung by my local HF last weekend to check out the parking lot sale, and while I was there, I bought the base items for a new tool bag to keep in my car.

I've been driving a Tacoma (and a Jeep before that), in which I kept a very large toolbox filled with everything imaginable. I could rebuild the entire truck if I needed to! Well, a few months ago, I downsized to a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. I love the efficiency (I got 37 mpg on a recent trip to NY), but of course it's a small car, so space is very limited.

In my mind, I figured the essentials should cover me in an emergency and small tasks here and there when I'm out and about. This is a general list I went by:
    • Pliers (for plying things :D)
    • Zip ties (for temporary redneck repair of virtually anything)
    • Screwdrivers (duh)
    • Wrenches (duh)
    • Hex key set (I surprise myself with how much I use these)
    I have extra sets of pliers and zip ties in the shop and jumper cables from the old truck (which actually sit under the front passenger seat; not in the bag), but I decided to just grab the other stuff at HF so I didn't have to pull them from their assigned stations around the house and at the office :D

Here's what I purchased and the prices I paid:
    • Item #21467 - $4.00 - 12" Tool Bag
    • Item #69043 - $5.99 - 9PC SAE Combination Wrench Set
    • Item #42305 - $5.99 - 9PC Metric Combination Wrench Set
    • Item #61988 - $1.00 - 4-in-1 Screwdriver with TPR Handle
    • Item #60822 - $5.00 - 3 Pc SAE/Metric/Torx Folding Hex Key Set
    Total with tax: $23.30

If I purchased the pliers there, I would have chosen item #35439, which is currently $8.97. And for zip ties, item #60264 is only $5.99 normally.

Which would have brought the total to $39.16 (if those two items weren't on sale).

hfhacks-13.jpg

What do you guys think? Did I miss an essential? Of course it has to fit in the small bag, but tell me what else I should add.

2. rbstern

rbstern Administrator Staff Member

Excellent kit, excellent post.

Items I would add (at a total added cost of around $15, depending on coupons):

#62600 - 7 pc. plier set, not just for the large pliers, but also the wire cutters and needle nose for electrical repairs
    #96186 - Braided rope
    #63168 - Folding knife, because, well...it's a knife and you should have always one

I also always keep a large adjustable wrench in my bag. You never know when you're going to run into a big nut. :)

I also always try to keep a bottle of drinking water in my bag, too.

3. rbstern

rbstern Administrator Staff Member

P.S. Congrats on the new Subaru. Want to hear more about it. Thinking about that as a potential vehicle for us next year.