Next project: New workshop for the wife's biz

Discussion in 'Hacks & Projects' started by rbstern, Oct 2, 2017.

1. rbstern

rbstern Administrator Staff Member

My wife started a crafting business a few years ago. She's doing well with it. The downside is that she's completely taken over my basement workshop, and she's run out of room for expanding her production. So we have to build a new workshop. I've always wanted to build a workshop from scratch. I just never realized I'd be building it for the wife instead of me.

The shop will have a couple of CO2 laser cutters/engravers, a band saw, a drill press, a miter saw, and a couple of sanding machines. It will be plumbed for air tools. I also plan to out in a dust collection system with 4" pipe and several gated branches plus a downdraft table. I'll be using the HF 2HP dust collector as the collection motor.

This is in an existing building we already own and the project has already begun. I've run dedicated 20 amp circuits for her CO2 lasers (includes an exhaust blower and a chiller), the dust collector, and her power tools. I've put some workbenches in place. Next, I'll plumb for air and dust collection. The shop won't be up and running for a at least a few more months; the wife is in her busiest season (holiday gifts), so the move has to wait, which gives me plenty of time.

I'll post pics of progress in this thread, as well as a comprehensive write-up for the dust collection mods, which will be pretty cool.

2. Ben

Ben Administrator Staff Member

Nice, can't wait to see it move along!

We will be building a garage with an apartment above it soon, which I am stoked about. Our house is small and we've never had a basement or a garage, so all my projects take place in my driveway. Needless to say, I am excited to have a place of my own soon. I'll start a thread on that at some point too.

3. rbstern

rbstern Administrator Staff Member

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing some pics.