Vastly Upgraded: Hf Pittsburgh Clamps

Discussion in 'Hand Tools' started by rbstern, Mar 11, 2018.

1. rbstern

rbstern Administrator Staff Member

I've had a handful of the HF Pittsburgh clamps for many years. They were always the last ones to come off the rack when doing a project. I have Quick Grip and Jorgensen clamps that are simply better quality, and easier to use.

That's suddenly changed. Last week, I was at my local HF store, and they had a bin of the 6" Pittsburgh clamps near the register. They looked different. Better. I was working on a project where I didn't have enough clamps, so I grabbed a couple of the $3 clamps as extras, in case needed.

Sure enough, I needed to use them this weekend. What a pleasure! They are vastly improved over the old Pittsburgh clamps. The machining is more precise. They work smoothly. The rubber covered handle is more comfortable and provides a surer grip than the old model's beech handle. The rubber protectors on the jaws are more secure than the flimsy plastic ones on the old model. The release mechanism is smoother and easier to actuate. They've improved these in just about every way possible. I actually think they are superior to my old, USA-made Jorgensen clamps.

I'll be adding more of these to my collection, and phasing out the old Pittsburgh clamps. An absolute bargain for a quality woodworking clamp.

2. Arty

Arty Member

I love there clamps I must have over 46 of them but I make a lot of cutting boards. I never had trouble with there clamps if I keep them Clean. Awesome price. But if you buy the Aluminum F-style bar clamp to keep them from bowing cut you a piece of wood and place it inside i got 4 of them as a gift but work great after the wood was put inside.

3. rbstern

rbstern Administrator Staff Member

My wife has gotten a hold of the two I bought. She likes them. Doubt I'll see them again. :)

Have to buy some more.