Adding 1/2 Ton Hf Crane To The Hf 1720 Trailer

Discussion in 'Cargo, Trailers, & Towing' started by Glenn, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Glenn

Glenn New Member

I have a project that requires transporting and unloading 300 to 500 lb boulders. Can find no information online about adding a crane to the HF 1720 trailer. Any opinions on whether this is feasible for this trailer? Plan is to beef up the trailer framing and add receiver plate for the crane.

2. PoorJohnn

PoorJohnn Member

Beefing up the frame would be good and I would be certain the wheel bearing were well lubed
    For the crane the lifting might be too concentrate at the mount. I would put jack stands below the crane to relieve as much of the load off the trailer

3. Glenn

Glenn New Member

Good idea for the jack supports. Most of the professionals trailer-cranes I've seen are mounted in front of the trailer in middle the hitch A frame with adjustable ground supports that drop down on each side. I'll have to see if my welder friend will help me out on this project.

PoorJohnn likes this.
  4. rbstern

rbstern Administrator Staff Member

Safe to assume the folding feature will no longer be used? If so, I would replace the plywood decking with 2x6s. That will be beefy enough to through-bolt the crane to, and the bolders won't hurt the boards, either. Or you could double up the plywood, which is faster and cheaper.